Our earliest ancestors in this area were John Guy and Elizabeth Purdy (my 5th great grandparents). John and Elizabeth were married 14 May 1759 in Chichester, and also possibly 15 May 1759 at New Fishbourne, which lies to the north and west of Chichester. Did Elizabeth come from this area, or was it John?
Their son John was baptised 20 Feb 1760 at West Wittering, a beachside town about 12km south of Chichester, in Sussex.
John Guy married Deborah Denyer on 9 Oct 1781 at St Pancras Church, Chichester.
[Note: There were two John Guys born in West Wittering, one in 1760 and one in 1762. I think this one is more likely – he would have been of full age when married, and they have children called John and Elizabeth – no Hannah, which is the other John’s mother’s name.]
I have not been able to locate any information about Deborah Denyer, which is strange given it is not a common name.
- John, christened 28 Jan 1782 St Andrews Church, Chichester. Died before 1788
- Richard, christened 8 April 1784, St Olaves Church, Chichester
- Elizabeth, christened 14 May 1785, St Olaves, Chichester
- John Henry, christened 3 Nov 1788, St Olaves, Chichester
- William born 4 March 1790 Chichester, Sussex, baptised 27 Oct 1790 at St Olaves, Chichester